Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Did It!

We left for Idaho Falls on Friday, our room was by the river and the kids loved the geese and ducks by the water. The geese have people feeding them all day so they are not afraid of people and will come right up to you. We didn't have any food with us Friday night but I promised that JR would buy some bread so they could feed them while I ran. They were so excited that night it took awhile to get them to go to sleep and then of course Gavin was awake at 5:58. So we were off and running.

After breakfast Brandi and I went looking for the start. We knew the race was around the river but I thought it started by our hotel. We finally asked some runners if they knew where the start was and they told us on the other side, so we booked it over there. The race was small, just a fun run/walk and most of the people were doing the 5k. The course was mostly flat and looped around the river with an out and back section. I felt good for the first 5k, I was going fast and kept thinking I should slow down. The out and back section was hard, it was on a narrow sidewalk next the the highway and I found it hard to keep my pace when you had such a sharp turnaround. The second 5k I passed a few people and then was alone for most of it. I don't have my official time yet(it's not on the website) but according to my garmin I did 6.36 miles in 51:28, avg time 8:05min/mile. I planned on an 8:30 mile, but really wanted 8:00. I am very happy with my time and when I find the official time I'll let you know. Either way that is a new PR for me!

We finished the weekend with the zoo and lots of shopping! It was a lot of fun and great to get out of town. Now I am exhausted so I am off to bed! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Great job. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the race! Sounds like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like you handled it very well. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete