Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring Is Here!

We are loving the warmer temps right now, I can hardly keep my kids in the house. Yesterday we were outside all morning, even walking down to uncle's house and back, about 1 1/2 miles. They came home, ate a lot, and crashed for a nice 3 hour nap! I lifted for about an hour while they were sleeping, then after dinner a friend offered to watch them while I went for a run. I had 2 mile warmup, 2x3 10 min tempo, 2 mile cooldown. It was hot and windy and I was struggling. I decided to go farthter behind my house thinking it would be flatter, but I was wrong! I started my first tempo run on a dirt road that was very uneven, lots of bumps and holes. I really had a hard time but I managed a 8:14 pace. The second tempo run did me in, I could not keep a steady pace. Every time I looked at my garmin I was going 7:30 so I would slow down then it would feel harder. I only did 1 mile at 7:56, then I ran a 2 mile cooldown. I was starving when I set out so I had a Hammer gel(which I really liked), but my stomach was rumbling half way through. Lesson learned, eat more food during the day, and try to rest a little if I have a longer run at night. I don't think I stopped yesterday.

Today I have 4 miles which I think I'll do at the indoor track with my friend C. I would love to run outside again but I don't want to wait until tonight, it's going to be another busy day and I want to get it over with. Plus running with someone makes the miles fly by. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. I have similar troubles pacing myself. Always too fast or too slow and it's so frustrating having to constantly stare at my watch. Still, great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's been happening to me now that I'm trying to run slower...it seems harder than running quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the tempo run! We've had some nice spring weather, but way too many rainy days, so even the nice days are muddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the run....glad you are getting better weather!

    ReplyDelete