Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How many 20 milers?

I didn't run this weekend so I had to make up my tempo run on Monday. My plan called for 2 miles at goal pace, 2 miles tempo, and 3 miles goal pace. I ran at the indoor track and was able to stay under 9 minute miles for goal pace and 8:00 and 8:05 for tempo. Yesterday I had a 80 minute run with hills. I ran on the treadmill and realized that I did not want to run that long so I split the workout up. I did the first 40 easy and did another 40 minutes last night. I did a Nike hill workout and my legs felt it, I was very tired and sore afterwards. Today was an easy 3 then I lifted. I was tired when I started but am feeling better now.

My training plan has me running only one 20 miler so I have been thinking about fitting in another. If I do I will have to run 18 this week and 20 next week, otherwise my plan calls for 16 miles this week and next. Does anybody know if I need two 20 milers or is one enough? Thank you for any information you can give me!

2 comments:

  1. I've done more than one both times I've trained, but there are quite a few sources out there now that say 20 miles is too much. So, who knows? Did you already do one? Which plan are you following? I think you'd be fine with just one if all of your other training is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends on your goals. If running "to complete", I think one 20-miler is sufficient. It will get you to the starting line injury free, which is most important. When you have more experience and more aggressive time goals, I definitely think more 20-milers are necessary. Your body needs to learn to run beyond that limit. In this training cycle, I have 2 18-milers, 2 20-milers and 2 21/22-milers.

    ReplyDelete